#3904: MS Outlook complains about invalid S/MIME signature in signed + encrypted
message
--------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  cooler  |      Owner:  mutt-dev
     Type:  defect  |     Status:  new
 When I use the gpgme backend and send a signed + encrypted S/MIME message
 to an MS
 Outlook user, the signature is reported as invalid. The signature is
 reported as valid if the message is only signed but not encrypted. When I
 use the
 openssl backend, the signature is reported as valid in both cases.

 When mutt uses the gpgme backend, <CR> is added at the end of the
 lines of the message text before calculating the detached signature. When
 the
 message text and the detached signature are encrypted, no <CR> is added at
 the
 end of the lines of the message text. It appears that in case the
 message is also encrypted, MS Outlook does not add <CR> before verifying
 the signature.

 The attached patch adds <CR> to the mail body before encrypting the
 data. This solved the problem for me.

 I don't know what the S/MIME standard says on this but as mutt+openssl
 already adds <CR> to the mail body before encrypting wouldn't it be
 consistent to do the same with mutt+gpgme?

--
Ticket URL: <https://dev.mutt.org/trac/ticket/3904>
Mutt <http://www.mutt.org/>