At 15:27 +0200 17 Apr 2018, Vincent Lefevre <vinc...@vinc17.org> wrote:
I suppose that -r should work since .git must be readable to be
useful.

That's not actually true. When it's a directory, a large number of operations can be done without it being readable (in my testing I haven't come across anything that fails). Since git is usually dealing with known entries within that directory it doesn't need to list them. So, only execute (search) permission is necessary for many things.

But, I don't think that this is a likely occurrence. It's probably still a better idea to work around shells which don't support the `-e` test even if that violates POSIX.