On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 08:37:10PM +0200, Tobias Girstmair wrote:
By setting $reverse_envelopeto the reverse_name functionality is
extended to also search the Envelope-To: and X-Envelope-To: headers when
looking for a suitable From: address.

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for sending the patch. Right now we're in the middle of the freeze for 1.12.0, so no commits of this sort are happening. However, I do have some feedback.

sample.muttrc is me's personal muttrc, and shouldn't be included in a patch that adds a new option.

It looks like you left out the part of the patch that is setting env->envelope_to. Also, a new envelope field would need to be saved and restored in hcache.c. This might invite further discussion of patterns such as ~t, ~C, etc.

If something like this were to go in, I think it should be bundled with the $reverse_name functionality, not as a new option.

All that said, my impression is that this is too specific. The header you are referencing is non-standard, and varies based on the MTA. Others gave suggestions in the threads you mentioned for various workarounds. I'm -1 on this, but I'll give it some more thought.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy