On 2021-01-11 08:22:08 +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> Derek Martin <inva...@pizzashack.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 09, 2021 at 10:54:28PM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> > > Hi Remco,
> > >
> > > So I'm looking at 9da4e6e11e7037668d0ca7e8f5d6773d26e379ac
> > > (I noticed this in mutt 2.0.2 on FreeBSD)
> > >
> > > This is a bad change
> >
> > You should have just stopped there.  This is a bad change, as I argued
> > when it was originally discussed.  Given that there was neither
> > agreement about how to change it, even amongst those who thought it
> > should change, nor any concrete example of harm caused by the original
> > format, it should never have been changed.

I agree,

> > This thread is a good example of why you don't arbtrarily change
> > things that have worked the same way for 20 years without a very good
> > reason:  You have NO IDEA what the change will break or how many
> > people will be affected by the breakage.

BTW, it broke one of my scripts (which used the Message-Id to identify
messages and sort them by date, all among my messages exclusively).

[...]
> Fwiw, I concur the PID in Message-IDs was a bad idea since it
> does unnecessarily leak information about system usage.  I'm no
> security expert, though I seem to remember kernel patches that
> would randomize PID allocation in Linux.

I don't think there's much leak, mainly the fact whether the user
restarts Mutt or not, but I doubt that's interesting info.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vinc...@vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>