As you've probably noticed, I've started making 2.2.x releases off the stable branch. There is also already a commit for 2.2.2, but that release will probably not be until some time in March.

My intention going forward is to not commit anything to master except for bug fixes merged from stable. At least, not without review by someone (or someones) that want to head up a 2.3.0 release in the future.

So, I'm moving away from leadership, and my time is definitely more limited, but I'm not *gone*.

That means this is still an excellent time to get involved. I'm quite willing, nay... eager, to give out commit privileges to people who would like to get more involved. (And, of course, given that I know who you are - random applicants from h@ck3r groups or forks please don't bother). So if you've just been shy to ask, please reconsider.

Perhaps as a place to start, several of you could work together as a kind of "maintainer committee". I would even advise very modest goals for 2.3.0. Right now, I'm still available to help with code reviews, try to answer questions, walk through release processes, and help with permission/ownership issues.

(One of the places I would start, is trying to get in touch with Michael Elkins again, and make sure he will renew the mutt.org domain in October. We had a scare a couple years ago about that.)

After that, I would suggest taking a look at some of the recent bug reports or merge requests on gitlab:

- !155 adds support for IMAP ID extension - it seems at least one IMAP server in China requires that.

- !156 is some kind of CI change from R2DevOps. If any of you are familiar with that kind of stuff it would be great to see if their proposal is worth it or not.

- !162 adds an XDG desktop file for mailto: link support. It also suggests perhaps disabling batch mode when a mailto link is passed. That might be a good idea.

- #389 requests ~C to scan Bcc headers too (presumably for searching the "sent" folder). It might also be worth adding to other patterns such as ~L.

- #386 seems like a reasonable request. Mutt in classic PGP mode delegates line ending normalization to gpg via the --textmode argument. It requests Mutt to do the work itself to make porting to other backends easier.

Thank you,

--
Kevin J. McCarthy