* on Friday, 2022-05-13 18:14 +0200, Ludolf Holzheid
<lholzh...@bihl-wiedemann.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 2022-05-13 17:21:37 +0200, Daan van Rossum wrote:
> >
> > I suppose if mutt estimates the row number incorrectly:
> > 1. underestimates: you could then still overwrite the last two rows with
> > the status bar
> > 2. overestimates: one or more lines at the bottom of the screen would be
> > empty
> >
> > Is that incorrect?
>
> Of course it is possible for TUI programs to let the terminal wrap the
> lines.  However, I expect it to be difficult to get it right for all
> terminals (and all corner cases).
>
> For your problem, a simple workaround might be to pipe the mail (or
> mail part) through ‘cat’ to let the terminal detect the URL.

Ludolf, I hear you, there are plenty of workarounds, but I wonder if a real
solution to this problem would be feasible.

What about a user option to select one of two methods for drawing the screen.
In corner cases, those that are not handled correctly yet, a user could fall
back to the current implementation.