Hi Steffen,

On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 01:01:54AM +0200, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
> Steffen Nurpmeso wrote in
>  <20240420191646.ZD-tN3eo@steffen%sdaoden.eu>:
>  |Kurt Hackenberg wrote in
>  | <zinqav87xkbv7...@rain.cave>:
>  ||I would like to hold off on this until the draft becomes an RFC, if \
>  ||it does.
>  | --End of <zinqav87xkbv7...@rain.cave>
>
> But i thing we refer to different drafts now.  I think you are all
> talking about draft-autocrypt-lamps-protected-headers-02, whereas
> i was at draft-ietf-lamps-header-protection-20.txt, and i find
> that terribly and needlessly excessive.  Note it also talks about
> a future deprecation of any non-protected messages, which i find
> too anticipatory, and needlessly so, too.
>
>   #?0|kent:rfc$ wc -l draft-autocrypt-lamps-protected-headers-02.txt
>   3864 draft-autocrypt-lamps-protected-headers-02.txt
>   #?0|kent:rfc$ wc -l draft-ietf-lamps-header-protection-20.txt
>   11200 draft-ietf-lamps-header-protection-20.txt

I thoroughly checked the autocypt one at the start of this discussion,
IIRC.  Then someone pointed to the ietf one, and after some simple
inspection and web search, I think it's the evolution of the other, so
my assumption was that the autocrypt one will never be standard.

But yes, I prefer the simpler autocrypt one.

> I mean, basically, isn't that just "duplicate the most important
> headers of RFC 5322 into the signed part", aka "move practically
> anything useful out of the main header, and place it within the
> encrypted first multipart" (aka as via S/MIME and the Melnikov
> draft) for generation, and "if you understand cryptographic
> signatures and decrypting, use any such headers as the main
> instances, and best if you somehow make that warp visible".
> Which makes up six lines in this email.
> The latter draft i find an overly complicated thing.
> Btw i find that in general the ~1.4 decades brought lots of overly
> messy complicated stuff in the email architecture (a bit like
> DNS), and i find over and over again that we can be very lucky
> that the old and good ones generated protocols which scale from
> a dozen boxes to a billion ones, which all these, let me make it
> plain, crappy new things will *never* deliver, i bet.

And as you, I don't like autocrypt either.  I get my keys by human
interaction, and have .gnupg tracked by git(1) for any modification.
But in this matter, I think this autocrypt draft was sane.

> A nice Sunday everybody, if you can.

Have a lovely Sunday!
Alex

--