I installed slang, compiled mutt and installed it underneath my home
directory.  the dotlock program, mutt and the Muttrc are in place with
prefix=/usr/home/hypnotik ..

earth% ls -l /var/mail/hypnotik
-rw-------  1 hypnotik  user  654 Feb  4 15:35 /var/mail/hypnotik
earth% export MAIL=/var/mail/hypnotik
earth% mutt
<loads up fine, but even with TWO mails in my mail file mutt shows no
mails.  it just displays the menu bar and the status bar. I exit normally.>

<so I try to run it -f on the cmdline, it enters two newlines and then
exits.>
earth% ~/bin/mutt -f /var/mail/hypnotik

earth%

----- end ------

output of mutt -v:

Mutt 0.95.1us (1999-01-04)
Copyright (C) 1996-8 Michael R. Elkins and others.
Mutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `mutt -vv'.
Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `mutt -vv' for details.

System: BSD/OS 4.0 [using slang 10202]
Compile options:
-DOMAIN
-HOMESPOOL  +USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  +USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK
-USE_IMAP  -USE_POP  +HAVE_REGCOMP  -USE_GNU_RX  +HAVE_COLOR  -BUFFY_SIZE
-EXACT_ADDRESS  +ENABLE_NLS
SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
MAILPATH="/var/mail"
SHAREDIR="/usr/local/lib/mutt"
SYSCONFDIR="/usr/home/hypnotik/etc"
ISPELL="/usr/contrib/bin/ispell"
To contact the developers, please mail to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
.o synthpunk o.  [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] [http://www.synthpunk.com]
"And remember: Evil will always prevail, because Good is dumb."-- Spaceballs