On Tue, Feb 23, 1999 at 23:23 (-0500), Paul Ackersviller wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 11, 1999 at 09:11:32AM -0800, Pann McCuaig wrote:
> > export COLORTERM=1
> >
> > fixed my mutt colors in a kvt (under just-released KDE 1.1).
>
> This would mean your mutt was linked with slang, which seems to have the
> COLORTERM kludge just for the problem you're dealing with.  However, it's
> not rocket science to simply get a proper terminfo entry, and that's what
> I'd advise you to do.  Quick and dirty solutions are seldom good ones -- as
> you're finding, slang is not widely supported (yet, at least).  Aside from
> mutt, the only programs I know of that can use it are slrn, jed, and lynx.

I use the debian distribution which favors slang.

It happens I got both problems solved just yesterday while setting up a
workstation for a new employee. This information applies to the mutt and
vim packages supplied with Debian 2.0 (hamm), and the release version of
KDE 1.1 (as packaged for Debian).

(This is all from memory as I'm nowhere near that box just now.)

The default kvt is not invoked with the -ls (login shell) option. I
changed that. It's easy to do from the KDE desktop (not for the kvt on
the panel as installed, but for the one in the user's Utility directory
which can then replace the one on the panel).

I selected "Linux console" for terminal type, and then changed the
backspace key to send delete.

I added 'export COLORTERM=kvt' to .xsession just before invoking kde.

In the user's .profile I change TERM to rxvt if it's xterm. (I've read
that kvt is derived from rxvt--whatever, it works.)

Now that user has colors in both mutt and vim.

As always, YMMV.

Thanks to Paul and others on this list for posts addressing this issue.

Cheers,
--
your man pann