On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 01:40:15PM -0500, David DeSimone wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > if you ever get urlview to work *PLEASE* let me know how you did it
>
> I compiled it, installed it, and made a macro to call it from Mutt.

Since I made a number of alterations that may interest others here is
what I have just done:-

1. I compiled urlview on two machines - AIX and DU - with no
problem and installed the executable in /usr/local/bin.

2. I added the following two lines to my .muttrc:-

macro index \cb |urlview\n
macro pager \cb |urlview\n

3. I moved sample.urlview to my home directory as .urlview. I edited
this to alter the REGEXP to replace 'www' by '(www|ftp)' which allows
addresses such as ftp.cs... to be recognised as well as www.cs...
As command I used:-
COMMAND url_handler '%s'

4. url_handler is url_handler.sh that comes with the release renamed
and moved to /usr/local/bin. I edited it in two ways. The sed stuff
to convert $url to $target for ncftp does not work correctly but is
actually not needed for version 3.0 - beta 18 of ncftp. I just have
ncftp $url under the 2 ftp cases. Since my mutt is a wrapper for the
actual code which I call realmutt, I replaced mutt by realmutt.

5. Everything works fine with urlview handling web address to lynx,
ftp addresses to ncftp and mailto to a new call of mutt.

This could be developed in various ways. For example, as a chemist
I might get *.pdb URLs which contain molecular data and can be
viewed by a code called RasMol. It would not be difficult to
alter url_handler to deal with this.

Cheers, Brian.
--
        Associate Professor Brian Salter-Duke (Brian Duke)
School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences, Northern Territory University,