Hi!

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 12:23:01PM -0700, Martin Hillyer wrote:
> I have been using mutt for some time now and really like it.
> However, it has one behaviour that I have not been able to
> understand or change:  the way it shows threads in the
> message list.  I have ascii_chars set, and the expected
> lines and arrows are shown; however sometimes messages are
> shown as part of a particular thread when the subject is
> completely different, and sometimes a message with a subject
> Re: foo_bar will be shown right below the original messge
> with no connection between them.  I have studied the fine
> manual, and tried various combinations of sort, sort_re, and
> strict threads, but have not observed any difference as a
> result.  I'm sure I'm  missing some magic nostrum to keep
> all threads together; can anyone help?

Messages with references header pointing to each other are always
put in the same thread, no matter which subject they have.
$strict_threads influences only whether messages with the same
subject are combined to a single thread (marked with asterisks)
- that's because there were lots of MUAs which didn't add
appropriate References: header. With $ascii_chars you select
either graphic or ascii characters to display the thread tree.

If the manual isn't clear enough about these things, just improve it
and send us a patch :)

Gero