At  1:48 AM EDT on July 24 SBTM sent off:
> Rob Reid wrote:
> > And for emacs you can use post mode, available at
> >
> > http://astro.utoronto.ca/~reid/mutt/
>
> It works just fine when starting a new file or editing and existing
> file. The problem rises when I reply to an email in mutt. It deletes all
> of the message no matter what, but leaves the line "blah wrote on..."

Did you change this?:

(defcustom post-signature-pattern "\\(--\\|Cheers,\\|^L\\)"
  "*Pattern signifying the beginning of signatures.  It should not contain
trailing whitespace (unless you know what you're doing ;-)."

This is what it uses to find the start of quoted signatures, and if you set it
to something too general, it will delete anything that's quoted.

If that's not it, we need more data, like what you customized and what version
of emacs you're using.  But I can tell you that it works for me; I'm using it
now.

--
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the
bad girls live.  - Jack Handey