On 1999-09-04 14:03:30 -0400, Fairlight wrote:

> After looking at the kernel source, the unicode docs, and not a
> small amount of pestering of Alan Cox, who was kind enough to help
> me, I've discovered that for (stock, American) Linux consoles, you
> really want your .muttrc to say:

>      set charset="ibm437"

> And all is well...I see the little <<  >> things now, and assume the rest
> will follow.  Thanks also go to Dr. Daia for pointing out my
> misinterpretation of the charset section in the manual.  :)

Well, it was only a _partial_ mis-interpretation.

As you may notice, the $send_charset variable Liviu refers to in his
message is _not_ present in the stable branch.  So your setting of
charset to "ibm437" will actually lead to sending messages out to
the net which are tagged with that charset.  Don't do this.

I'd suggest you rather try to fix your console settings.