On Tue, Sep 07, 1999 at 10:42:30AM +0100, Axel Tillequin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to have a shell command run each time mutt is opened.
> like if just after mutt comes up, i'd pressed ':command'

I think you mean '!command' (at least in the default keymap)

If you want mutt to do something each start, you could use the push
command. (Look it up in the manual)

push "!fetchmail\n"

or even

push "^g"

if your macro works

> example:
> I've tried to bypass the builtin ^g (fetch-mail) to use the more
> powerfull
> program called "fetchmail" by putting
> macro generic ^g :fetchmail
> in the .muttrc file.
> problem: the ^g is still bind to the builtin fetch-mail function...like
> if the macro
> is not taken into account at all ?!

I don't have pop support compiled in, so i can't tell for sure, but i
think the default ^g-binding may be in the index/pager keymap where it
has precedence over the generic keymap. So this would help you:

macro index ^g '!fetchmail\n'
macro pager ^g '!fetchmail\n'

Related to this, you could recompile mutt without --enable-pop which
should remove the default ^g-action, too.

CU,
    Sec
--
It's so nice to be insane, nobody asks you to explain.