Thus spake Ralf Hildebrandt ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> I rarely post a question but this one baffles me totally. I've been
> using mutt since god-knows-when (0.88.x or s.t.h)
>
> We use NFS mounted mailboxes on both Solaris 2.6 and Linux 2.2.5-22
> here. mutt-1.0i (and 1.0pre3i) work fine except for this:
>
> I keep getting "New mail in <mailboxname>" even if there isn't any. I
> have no clue why. On both Linux and Solaris.

You need to compile mutt again on the NFS client machines.

Use ./configure --enable-nfs-fix

(along with any other options you may normally use)

The problem with some (well, most) nfs server implementations is they cache
the c/m/atime attributes of small files.  Normally this is no big deal, just
slightly annoying at times.  Mutt has a problem with this because it uses
those attributes to determine if there is new mail in there.  It compares the
atime (last access) with the mtime (last modification) to see if the file was
modified at a later time than the last access.

So, if you do not enable the nfs fix you'll notice this happening with
mailboxes that are pretty small.

--
,      oneiros ([EMAIL PROTECTED])      |      . OpenPGP Supported .      '
 "It is easier to port a shell than a shell script."              -- Larry Wall