Jan & rex, et al --

...and then Jan-Benedict Glaw said...
% On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 01:48:19PM -0800, rex wrote:
% > On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 01:23:19PM +0100, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
% > >
... paraphrased to "use pgp_encryptself or encrypt-to settings"
% >
% > This is very dangerous if you ever wish to be anonymous because anyone
% > can see your identity. It's all too easy to forget to unset this option
% > when sending an anonymous message (don't ask how I know :).

I hear you saying that you can look at an encrypted mail and see with
what public keys it was encrypted, right?  And so yours is one and so
you're one of the recipients and therefore at least involved, right?
Hmmm...  Didn't know that.

%
% You miss the point... If you encrypt a mail, the recipiant will _need_ your
% public key. Thus he knows your identity regardless whether or not you en-

Whoa!  Not at all; you use the recipient's public key to encrypt
and he uses his secret key to decrypt.  Since everyone in the world
has my public key, it wouldn't do to require that for decryption :-)
[Of course, that's why signing, or doing a special little encryption,
with the secret key works so well...]

% crypted that mail _for_ your key, too. If you sign your mail, the recipiant
% will notice your keys UIDs as well.

Yeah, but that's just signing -- which is a different setting, as you
point out below.

%
% I think you wanted to write about 'set pgp_autosign' in .mutttrc? Well, I've

This sounds right to me, too...

% set this, as I don't write spam^Wanonymous mails, but maybe you have a
% real use of anonymous mails?

I won't go here :-)  If I want to be anonymous, I just use my anonymous
alias and let hooks take care of everything else for me!

:-D
--
David T-G                       * It's easier to fight for one's principles
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED]      * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie

PGP signature