Mark --

...and then Mark Andrews said...
%
% Is there a way to specify and save the sort order (and/or save the
% status of other variables) within mutt?

To put perhaps more clearly what other folks have said, mutt does not
have a way of writing out a configuration file with the various settings
you've chosen as elm does.  The reason for this is because you can change
things in a much more complex way with mutt; the config file you might
write could be different based on how much mail you have, what folder
you're in, or to whom you last sent mail thanks to hooks and macros.

Each installation of mutt comes with some compiled-in defaults and
should also come with a system-wide muttrc file; you can create your
own (mutt looks, perhaps amongst other places, in $HOME/.muttrc and
$HOME/.mutt/muttrc for its config) and set things the way you want,
and mutt will behave that way from then on.

%
% Thanks

:-D
--
David T-G                       * It's easier to fight for one's principles
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED]      * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie

PGP signature