2000-03-16-12:20:58 Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS:
> I have been told that this is in fact a common abuse of Bcc.
> Apparently it is guarranteed that recipients in the To and Cc
> fields will not receive the Bcc field, but it is not guarranteed
> that recipients in the Bcc field will not receive the Bcc field.

Good point! I don't know of any current email systems that don't
hide the Bcc from everyone, including the Bcc recipients, but then
there are an awful lot of email systems out there that I don't know.
And I just checked, RFC 822 definitely confirms what you said: Bcc
is not guaranteed to be stripped from the copies sent to the Bcc
recipients.

"sendmail -t" does this stripping, at least with recent production
releases of Sendmail, and I'm pretty sure Postfix's sendmail
compatibility shim does this as well.

But if you don't have something guaranteeing that nobody sees Bccs,
then there's no way to provide the desired control purely in headers
in a message.

So in that case, I suppose the original question could be answered
really sadistically, with "compose the message, then postpone it,
then change to the postponed folder, then select the message, then
repeatedly bounce it by hand to each of the recipients". Love those
nice user-friendly solutions:-).

-Bennett

PGP signature