At 17:22 +0200 24 Mar 2000, Mikko Hänninen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So, should setting $from (and $realname) inside a send-hook actually
> change the from address or not for the current email?  If it doesn't,
> then it can't be used as a full replacement for "my_hdr From:" (and

No, it shouldn't.  $from isn't meant to be a full replacement for
'my_hdr From:', it's meant to let people set the default.

> then we again get the $reverse_name problem).

No, we don't.  The $reverse_name problem was that it wouldn't override a
default set by my_hdr.  The order for this stuff is:

- Apply $from
- Do $reverse_name
- Do send-hooks (including 'my_hdr From:')

If applying $from were to be moved after the send-hooks, then $from
would have exactly the same problems as 'my_hdr From:'.  Unless applying
$reverse name were moved so it was again after that, but then the
address it sets couldn't be matched against in send-hooks, and there
would be no way to override it.  So, if you want to set the From:
address in a send-hook, you should still use 'my_hdr From:'.  That this
overrides $reverse_name is a feature, not a bug.  For instance, I've
occasionally used things like:

send-hook . unmy_hdr From:
send-hook '~f aarons@illiam' my_hdr From: Aaron Schrab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Because although I want the address [EMAIL PROTECTED] to be
recognized as mine, I never want to use it for sending mail.

--
Aaron Schrab     [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.execpc.com/~aarons/
 "If that makes any sense to you, you have a big problem."