On May/06/2000, Corey G. wrote:

> I must be living in the dark because I never heard of w3m until I saw
> this thread.  What is the opinion on how it works verse lynx?  Are
> there any major benefits in using one over the other?

        I use it for some things, but in pages with a few tables and/or frames
I find that it just puts too many things in too little space :-) I mean, I
have only 25x80 text mode, and pages that are done to fit a 800x600 page, with
small fonts, seem to flood my screen too much %-) So I use lynx the most of
the time.

        Anyway, I use w3m to see many technical docs, because the ability to
render tables is an absolute need sometimes.

        Have you tried links? (yes, I wrote it well: links) It's another text
mode web browser, with kind of Borland-style menus. It doesn't support cookies
yet (AFAIK), but it has nice features: for example, choosing colors of the
text from the original colors of the page :-) So, if you browse Slashdot
you'll see a lot of green, and things like that. It makes it horrible
sometimes, but it's worth trying it :-) It has, for me, the same problem that
w3m: it's impossible to fit in a tidy manner a page with a lot of
tables/frames in a small text mode screen; but it's not a problem of the
programs, but a problem in the page side. A well designed page shouldn't have
this problem.

--
   Roberto Suarez Soto   ·            Orange is young full of daring
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]    ·       But very unsteady in the first go-round