On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 04:26:44PM -0400, Erik Jacobsen wrote:

> Since when are rfc 822 comments deprecated?

There's an update for RFC822 which says:

  Also, because some legacy implementations interpret the comment,
  comments SHOULD NOT generally be used in address fields to avoid
  confusing such implementations.

I use a legacy app (premail) that interprets the comment and thus need
to be able to generate comments in addresses.

> Comments are not supposed to be used by MTAs, e.g., in SMTP exchanges, but
> should be kept by MUAs, so I've always used the exact addressing (where is
> THAT broken, by-the-way?) and considered the non-exact addressing broken!

I don't know what the problem with Mutt's implementation is, only that
the INSTALL file says it's broken.

Anyone know what Bad Things happen when --enable-exact-address is used?

I guess I could try it. :)

-rex