Hi, folks --

Those of you who have ever seen sudo or powerbroker, the [free and
expensive, respectively] tools to let ordinary users perform privileged
functions under *NIX, will probably understand exactly what I'm about to
try to describe.  For the rest of you, I hope I can be clear :-)

I would like to set up [heirarchical] classes of aliases to use for
folder management -- yes, aliases for folder management.  Currently I can
define

  alias al <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Al Pal)
  alias bill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Bill Friend)
  alias chuck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Chuck Buddy)
  alias pals al,bill,chuck

  fcc-save-hook \
    '[EMAIL PROTECTED]|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|[EMAIL PROTECTED]' \
    =PALS/%O

for my special pals Al, Bill and Chuck so that their mail goes into their
folders under $HOME/Mail/PALS instead of under $HOME/Mail.  I'd really
like to be able to define a class of pals so that I can say

  aliasclass PALS al,bill,chuck
  fcc-save-hook '[[:PALS:]]' =PALS/%O

or perhaps

  alias pals al,bill,chuck
  fcc-save-hook '[[:pals:]]' -PALS/%O

(borrowing a little bit of notation from the GNU regexps) so that I don't
have to maintain two lists (the mailing alias *and* the fcc-save-hook).

This maps well to creating larger classes, too, by simply including the
subclasses instead of the alias itself.  Nothing new for aliases
themselves, since nested aliases are already supported, but nice for the
folder management side.

I realize that this is fairly complex and certainly isn't something for
1.2.1 -- but does it sound feasible, worthwhile, and like it might happen
one of these days?  Or does anyone have any better ideas?

TIA & HAND

:-D
--
David T-G                       * It's easier to fight for one's principles
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED]      * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie

PGP signature