Rob Watkin muttered:

> I'm new to mutt

Welcome!

> There are a couple of things that don't seem to be working and some
> features I don't understand.
>
> * Color does not work - I have tried all the suggestions in the FAQ.

Don't you see any colors or what 'does not work'?

> * The 'screenshots' at http://www.mutt.org show an X enhanced menu but
>   I can't figure out how to get that to work.

iirc, that's an eterm theme.

> * How (or where) does mutt save my 'sent mail'.

set copy=yes (default)
set record=/your/sent-mail/file

> I really thing that I must be missing some important piece of
> documentation which helps new users get oriented with mutt's
> philosophy.

For starters you could give the manual a chance :)
Presuming you installed mutt at the default place:

/usr/local/doc/mutt/manual.txt
/usr/local/doc/mutt/html/manual.html

HTH,

Michael
--
No directory.

PGP-fingerprint: DECA E9D2 EBDD 0FE0 0A65  40FA 5967 ACA1 0B57 7C13