On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 11:20:07AM -0700, Gary Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 12:00:32PM +0200, Jan Houtsma wrote:
>
> > Where can i find a decent RunningX script?
> >
> > What i want is to run netscape only when i run mutt locally on my pc at home
> > within the window manager. However when i am at work and telnet to my house
> > and start mutt from there i don't want it to start netscape but lynx or w3m.
> >
> > Testing only $DISPLAY isn't good enough cause when i telnet to house
> > it's still set to :0. And also X is found to be a running process because
> > at home i only locked my screen.
> > So i am looking for a way to test if i am running mutt really locally.
>
> I have the same situation, except that I run mutt on my workstation at
> work and telnet from home.  I use the RunningX program available from
>
>     http://www.fiction.net/blong/programs/mutt/autoview/RunningX.c

I downloaded the program and tested it. If you feed it an option it
says "yes" or "no" dependent upon if it would return 0 or 1.

Regretfully it doesnt work.

I tested it from another computer (windows box). From that box i log
into my linux server (which happens to have X running) and when i
run RunningX, it answers "yes". So thats wrong. Since i am not sitting at that
computer it should answer "no". Because now when i run mutt and view
an url it starts netscape on the server where i am not sitting an which
i can not see!  It should start lynx instead in the window i am sitting at at
the other computer.

Only thing that works is manually unsetting $DISPLAY.
Are there other solutions??