Caster muttered:
> > It's a valid escape sequence, and I think I've heard of it before.  It
> > might not, however, be fully documented :-)
>
> In fact I don't see any mention of it in the docs (I mean in refer to
> the name of the edited file).

It's there:

5.3.3.3.  Command Expansion

  The various commands defined in the mailcap files are passed to the
  /bin/sh shell using the system() function.  Before the command is
  passed to /bin/sh -c, it is parsed to expand various special
  parameters with information from Mutt.  The keywords Mutt expands
  are:

     %s As seen in the basic mailcap section, this variable is expanded
        to a filename specified by the calling program.  This file
        contains the body of the message to view/print/edit or where
        the composing program should place the results of composition.
        In addition, the use of this keyword causes Mutt to not pass
        the body of the message to the view/print/edit program on
        stdin.

HTH,

Michael
--
The program isn't debugged until the last user is dead.

PGP-fingerprint: DECA E9D2 EBDD 0FE0 0A65  40FA 5967 ACA1 0B57 7C13

PGP signature