Lutz Jaenicke [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 09:14:14PM +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 11:57:06AM -0700, Todd Holloway wrote:
> > >
> > > Can mutt use a MSA (mail submission agent)?
> >
> > Of course. Now, mutt invokes sendmail -- I see no reason why it shouldn't be
> > able to call an MSA instead. You can even specify HOW mutt should call
> > sendmail /qmail, whatever)
>
> Probably not. MSA (mail submission agent) refers to RFC2476. It specifies
> an interface very similar to SMTP on a different port (587), especially
> intented to allow email submission from MUAs e.g. with authentication.
> On port 25 you should run a normal SMTP server to receive incoming mails.
> On port 587 you may run a submission server with client authentication
> enabled to allow relaying for your customers/personell etc.
>
> As mutt does not support SMTP (and support for SMTP is not intended),
> it also does not support submission as of RFC2476.

By the same token, though, there is nothing to *prevent* Mutt from making
use of an *external* MSA.  In short, it (currently) supports this mechanism
just as well as it supports regular SMTP or any other sending protocol: not
at all directly, but if you have a program to use for this protocol, you
should be able to use Mutt with it.

--
Jeremy Blosser   |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   http://jblosser.firinn.org/

PGP signature