On Saturday, December 16, 2000 (CS:6.50.351) 12:42:49 [PM] (-0600)
Brian Minton [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote...

> yes, but not completely, since at a later time, you can always produce your
> public key at a later time if necessary to prove that you did in fact write a
> given message, or that you did not.
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thats not possible! If you signed a message (which you do with your private
key) and i verify it with your public key (and im sure its yours) i can be
sure YOU and nobody else wrote that message.
If you generate a new key pair i would see that and would still have you
public key.

Wait a sec.
> you can always produce your public key at a later time
Do you mean to *upload* your public key at a later time? Then you are right.
I never thought about that. To upload you key later to prove you did
write a message works. But you cant prove you didnt! What if you just
generate a new one?

====> This message is not from me. Thats not my public key! See!

>                                     However, except for special
> circumstances, I can't imagine any reason not to send your public key to the
> keyserver, especially if you are going to be publishing (eg on a list) signed
> material.

agree

> and yet you signed the message :-)

see the joke there...?

CYL mh
Linux - its only limit is its physical environment

PGP signature