David --

...and then David Petrou said...
%
% I can read files of my old saved mail just fine, but I can't edit
% them.  Mutt reports that the folders are read-only.  I have AFS tokens
% and I'm able to read and write those files at the command-line.  I'm
% not sure why Mutt doesn't think it can also.

mutt doesn't do any locking, but hands that off to mutt_dotlock.  Try

  mutt_dotlock -t /afs/some/mail/file

and see what you get.  If mutt_dotlock cannot lock the file, you'll have
to look into sgid ownership and permissions on the afs dir; perhaps root
or mail at your machine has no ability to set a lock in the afs tree.

%
% Another problem: I tried to save an e-mail message to a folder in AFS
% and mutt complained that it was unable to lock the folder file.

Yep; that sounds like the same thing.

%
% So has anyone out there had better luck running over AFS?

HTH & HH

%
% thanks,
% david

:-D
--
David T-G                       * It's easier to fight for one's principles
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED]      * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie

PGP signature