On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 12:09:58AM -0800, Jason Helfman wrote:
> you don't have smtp listening on your localhost for delivery.
>
> port 25
>
> this is what I have on a: netstat -a :grep 25, or netstat -l
>
> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:25              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
>
> also you can try connecting to localhost port 25 with telnet
>
> jhelfman@dsl-64-34-6-73:~/bash$ telnet localhost 25
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to alice.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 dsl-64-34-6-73.telocity.com ESMTP
>
> this is what mine shows....and if it is working correctly, it will hand
> there awaiting commands.
>
> I hope this helps.

Also, I recommend not using sendmail, but having fetchmail deliver
directly into your inbox using procmail.  Use ssmtp for sending mail.
ssmtp is a nice send-only mailer that's really simple to configure:

apt-get install procmail ssmtp

here's the important line from .fetchmailrc:

poll foo.bar.com protocol imap username "huber" password
"*******" mda "procmail -d %T"

the "mda" part is the important one.

You might need a .procmailrc.  Something simple like:
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail/
DEFAULT=$HOME/mail/inbox

ttyl,

--
Josh Huber                                     | [EMAIL PROTECTED] |

PGP signature