On Wed, Mar  7, 2001, Horace G. Friend III wrote:
> The windoze world is full of all kinds of viruses. Is it the same in Linux?
> I just received an email from [EMAIL PROTECTED] (probably a fake) with
> an attachment (AHAOFIA.EXE) described as application/octet-stream, base64 encoding,
>size 30K.

It sounds like the only way this could affect your Linux partition is
if you ran it from a Windows OS and it messed with the MBR or
something, but still I would think that Linux itself would be okay.

> The email looked looked suspicious because of the source and the subject
> is empty and I've read somewhere that Unices (including Linux) bothered
> by viruses. So I bounced this file back to myself so that I can download it
> again from windoze where I've got two anti-virus programs to check on this.
>
> I did that this morning (from windoze) and when I try to save the file
> my PC just locks with a black screen and two horizontal lines spaced apart
> by about 3 inches. None of my anti-virus apps detected it and all my av
> definitions are uptodate (Norton AV and PC-cillin98). I tried to detect
> the virus by scanning Inbox directly, doing it in DOS, etc. but still
> no detection.

That sounds weird.  All you did was try to save the file, no execute
it?  If this is the case, unless you have Outlook (?) configured to
automatically execute attachments (stupid), it sounds coincidental.
My suggestion?  Ditch Outlook.  It's mediocre for email, and a
constant target.  If you have to use a Windows MUA, I would recommend
Eudora.

-Ken

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            AIM: ScopusFest