On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 11:45:50AM -0400, Brendan Cully sat at the 'puter and typed:
> On Saturday, 19 May 2001 at 15:57, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> > Anyway, here is my current roadblock:
> > I have the following in ~/.muttrc
> >
> > set folder={acadia.ne.mediaone.net}
> > set spoolfile="{acadia.ne.mediaone.net}INBOX
>
> did you forget the closing quote here or in your .muttrc?

You bet.  As a matter of fact, this message took so long showing up in
my mutt folder, I assumed it was lost.  I posted it on comp.mail.mutt,
and shortly afterward, I found the problem myself.  Of course I had to
repost and eat some crow :) BTW, I am blaming lack of sleep for that
stupid mistake :)

In addition to the quote, I added INBOX to the end of the folder
definition.  Now I get the inbox upon startup.

> > set imap_user="leblanc"
> > set hostname="acadia.ne.mediaone.net"
> >
> > when I start mutt, it logs into the server ok, but then starts up with
> > "Mailbox does not exist"
>
> This shouldn't happen. Assuming you've got the quote right in your
> .muttrc, can you run mutt with -d2 (if you've built mutt with
> --enable-debug) and send me your ~/.muttdebug0 file?

Actually, adding the INBOX tag to the end of the folder spec fixes
this.

> > In order to check messages, I have to change to the folder explicitly
> > (meaning c -> {acadia.ne.mediaone.net}INBOX)
> > How do I get mutt to start up with the Inbox folder?
> > Also, when I want to change to another folder, I have to do the same
> > full path change (c -> {acadia.ne.mediaone.net}INBOX.mutt), isn't
> > there a shortcut method?  What am I missing here?
>
> you should be able to use =INBOX.mutt. And tab-completion should work
> for you.

Now, I can just use =mutt.  I hadn't yet realized that tab-completion
was even available - but now I know, and it does work -thanks! :)

> > One more minor thing.  When I delete a file, I would like to simply
> > move it to the Trash folder.  I know this isn't the defined imap
> > behavior, but I am kind of used to it.  How can that be done?
>
> You need to write a macro to save your message to a trash folder and
> bind it to a key (possibly the current delete key). Something like:
>
> macro index d "<save-message>=Trash\n" "Move message to the trash folder"
> macro pager d "<save-message>=Trash\n" "Move message to the trash folder"
>
> might work for you, although I don't guarantee it (I hardly ever write
> macros, and don't use a trash folder). Search the archives if it
> doesn't, this is asked a lot.

The index macro works, so I assume the pager macro does too. Thanks!

> > And last one (for this message, anyway), Notice my From: header.  I
> > had to add the @<servername> because mutt isn't doing it.  I can't
> > find where to do that in the manual.  Any pointers?
>
> no comment here. But I get the impression from your from address that
> you're manually overriding the From header somehow, so this behaviour
> is probably to be expected...

Actually, the From: header just defaults to the following:
From: Louis LeBlanc <leblanc>
When I subscribe to a list, I usually just create a folder for it and
subscribe as "[EMAIL PROTECTED]", and let
sendmail sort it to the right folder - that way I don't have to wait
for a macro to search the new messages and move them around.

However, when I write to a closed list (like mutt), I have to modify
that header with the correct (subscribed) address.  If I don't,
sendmail will add it, but it seems to slow down delivery.  Is there a
way I can set the From: header automatically?  Will my_hdr override
it?  I think I will try it out.   Hey, if I can even set it based on
the recipients (if it is a subscribed maillist) then so much the better.

Hey, I love mutt!  Is there any chance I can get it to read news too?
Or is there another tool like mutt to do that?  I hope it will,
because I often find usenet messages I know I will need later, and I
save them in other imap folders created for a particular subject.

Thanks a million!

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc