On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 08:07:52PM +0200, Munish Chopra wrote:
> It seems I messed up my reply the first time, but what I wanted to ask
> was:
>
> I was wondering how often mutt checks for mail when check_new=yes is
> set? And is this affected by mail_check=5?
>
> Right now I have both of the above set, but whether both are set or only
> check_new, it doesn't seem to be doing much (I have fetchmail running
> every now and then, but I actually have to hit 'g' to check for new
> mail).

This behavior is also affected by the 'timeout' variable.  From the
manual:

    This variable controls the number of seconds Mutt will wait for a
    key to be pressed in the main menu before timing out and checking
    for new mail.  A value of zero or less will cause Mutt not to ever
    time out.

The default value is 600, or 10 minutes.  I put

    set timeout=10

in my muttrc and mutt now informs me of new mail at a much more
reasonable interval.

Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   | RF Communications PGU