On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 03:49:17PM +0530 or thereabouts, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> Conor Daly [mutt-users] <19/06/01 08:47 +0000>:
> > I sent this to the Irish LUG but I thought I'd try out mutt users in case
> > any sendmail gurus could help.

> > > That's curious - most ISPs allow relaying from their domains i.e. if you
> > > dial in to oceanfree, you can use smtp.oceanfree.net for smtp, and there's
> > > no need for pop before smtp authentication. If smtp.oceanfree.net suddenly
>
> If there's pop before smtp, put a script into ip-up.local (assuming linux) that
> calls fetchmail first before /usr/sbin/sendmail -q

Originally, mail.oceanfree.net and smtp.oceanfree.net were the same host and
I was using pop before smtp just as you suggested.  Unfortunately, mail and
smtp are now on seperate hosts sp pop before smtp no loonger works.  I even
tried pop before smtp on the *smtp* host but it wouldn't accept a pop
connection at all.

> > Can any sendmail gurus point me towards the appropriate config for SMTP
> > AUTH?
>
> _If_ that ISP supports it, it is http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html

Oh, they support it all right.  Their smtp instructions consist of "Set up
MS Outlook Express to use your pop authorisation for smtp".  Only problem
is, if you phone their 58p/minute helpline and mention linux or sendmail the
response if "What's that?"

Have looked at http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html and will try to
unravel my confusion with that.  For my purposes, which is to have sendmail
authenticate with its smart relay, I presume I only need the following in my
sendmail.cf

DefaultAuthInfo (confDEF_AUTH_INFO)
    specifies a file in which the authorization identity, the authentication
identity, the secret, and the realm to be used for authentication are
stored. This file must be in a safe directory and unreadable by everyone
except root (or TrustedUser). It is used when sendmail acts as a client to
authenticate itself to a server. Example:

    admin
    admin
    MySecretPassword
    example.domain
    Note: all data is case sensitive (usually).
recommended filename: /etc/mail/default-auth-info

> ps - point the guy to comp.mail.sendmail

I have duly pointed *me* to comp.mail.sendmail !

Thanks,

Conor
--
Conor Daly
Met Eireann, Glasnevin Hill, Dublin 9, Ireland