On 2001.07.05, in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Thomas E. Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Jesper Holmberg wrote:
>
> > Suresh: thanks, vt100 seems to work the best. I haven't figured out
> > how to get color out of an xterm under Solaris anyway, so the black
> > and white means to loss of quality.
>
> you can install a terminfo entry in your home directory using $TERMINFO
> to point to it (see the tic and terminfo manpages).  I'd use infocmp
> on Linux to dump a copy of the terminfo and use tic on Solaris to install
> it.

Sun's xterm simply doesn't support color, as far as I've been able to
tell. Using TERMINFO=/path/to/ncurses-5.0/share/terminfo doesn't help,
in particular.

After trying many alternative terminals (rxvt, aterm, wterm, eterm,
gnome-terminal, dtterm, etc.) and having serious objections to each,
I've happily settled on what I should have tried first: a newer xterm.

        http://dickey.his.com/xterm/

Thanks, Thomas. I'm sort of surprised you didn't mention that solution,
yourself. :)

--
 -D.    [EMAIL PROTECTED]        NSIT    University of Chicago