On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 02:03:36PM -0500, Tim Legant wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 08:31:44PM +0200, Magnus Bodin wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 07:51:18PM -0500, Tim Legant wrote:
> > > Procmail is severely broken in its creation of file names for maildirs.
> > > If procmail correctly followed the specification for maildirs,
> > > duplicates would be impossible.
> >
> > No it's not.
>
> Yes it is.

I say it's up to the interpretation of the document.

> > > http://cr.yp.to/proto/maildir.html
> >
> > "A unique name can be anything that doesn't contain a colon (or slash) and
> > doesn't start with a dot."
>
> You really should quote the context. What you quoted is the simple,
> non-technical explanation for those who are *not* writing software to
> write messages into maildirs.
>
> If you contine reading (the very next paragraph, really!), you'll get
> the official definition for people who actually are coding maildir
> writers.

Since it's not a formal definition with SHOULD, MUST, etc and BNF
definitions, then it's up to the reader to interpret if the second
paragraph is an example of the implementation of the first paragraph.

I don't see the word "require hostname" anywhere.

I agree however, that the procmail filenames are ugly.

/magnus