On Thursday, 06 September 2001 at 15:33, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> Wierd behavior here.  I use IMAP, and don't move mail I've read to
> another mailbox.  I usually have it delivered right where I want it.
>
> Anyway, I found that when I set mbox in my muttrc to point to my INBOX
> on the IMAP server, it would often not save the status or flags for
> more recent messages - a read message would be marked new next time I
> got on, a message I replied to didn't have the r flag, etc.
>
> Anyway, I found that I could fix this by unsetting the mbox directive
> in my muttrc.

I think what you want is the $move option, which you should set to
'no'. Also keep an eye out for any mbox-hooks you might have lying
around.

> Now something wierd happened.  I just did a c> to change to the main
> folder (folder and spoolfile directives both point to the INBOX).

the '>'  switches to $mbox, which you aren't interested in. To get back
to the spoolfile, use '!'.

> Anyway, when it changes, I see multiple copies of every message in my
> INBOX, plus copies of every other message I've read in other
> mailboxes.

I don't know exactly what's happening here. Frankly I'm like you and
have $move perpetually turned off (everything's already filtered to the
right place), so bugs seem to crop up here more often than usual.

> Here is what I've got for relevant config directives (I think):
> set folder="{[EMAIL PROTECTED]}INBOX"
> set spoolfile="{[EMAIL PROTECTED]}INBOX"
> set mbox="{acadia.ne.mediaone.net}INBOX"
>
> As near as I could tell, this was the way to do it for IMAP, but it
> looks like I'm doing something wrong.

If you have $move off, $mbox shouldn't even be used. But, one thing I
can say is mutt's mailbox comparison is exceedingly stupid (basically
just a strcmp), so to it your $mbox and $spoolfile appear to be
different mailboxes even though they're not. This is probably what's
gotten mutt confused and acting weird.

I'd written about half of a proper mailbox comparison function a couple
days ago (for a very similar problem), but scrapped it a couple of days
ago for a less reliable fix (I tried to canonify paths when they were
entered, so we could use the less expensive strcmp later). It may be
that was the wrong approach.

But on the other hand, you might try current CVS and see if it works out
for you. Oh, one final note: using the imap URL format
(eg imap:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/INBOX) tends to work a bit
better, since that's what mutt uses internally.

In short, I don't really know what happened :)

-Brendan