Paul, et al --

...and then Paul de Weerd said...
% Hi list,
%
% I recently switched to using Mutt for all my mail. Sure
% do like it ! But I do miss some tools I had back when

Good for you!

% using ELM, namely frm and nfrm. frm listed all mails

Yeah.  I happen to like elm's alias file format and listalias lookup tool,
too; to this day I edit my aliases in the elm file (though it is, I
admit, getting kinda big at 1400 lines) and pump it through a perl
convert script posted here long ago...

[I have started to explore lbdb but haven't put much time into it.  If
anyone out there wants to sell me on the newest alias management tool,
which must feature

  - easy, easy, easy data entry; no forms and tab keys and whatnot
  - alias.name, Full Name, email@address, *and* comment association
  - quick, flexible lookup

to be useful to me, I'm all ears and would happily hear suggestions and
then post a summary of what I've found if there is further interest.]

% in a specified mailbox (or $MAIL if none was specified)
% and nfrm listed all new mails (I think nfrm was a
% specialized form of frm, but I'm not sure).

Yep.  Interestingly enough, though, nfrm never displayed proper results
for mailboxes not my main spool file; ffrm and nfrm were equivalent.  Odd.

%
% Where are these great tools ? Can I simply run mutt
% with some commandline options - I did not find these
% in mutt(1). Should I build these from the source tree
% with some special make target (make nfrm) ? Do they
% not exist (but WHY !? ;-) ?

Because, although they're cool and handy, they aren't part of the
mailreader -- and that's what you get with mutt.  Search the archives
for 'code bloat' to see many fervent discussions of features, tools,
and add-ons that aren't in the mutt package and why :-)

%
% Current solution would be downloading elm, compiling
% these tools and installing them by hand.

That's the way to get them as it stands today.  Of course, you could
always hack it like the shell script in another reply or write your own
standalone tool -- and if you do, I'm sure you could get such a package
into the contrib directory at ftp.mutt.org for everyone else!

%
% Any thoughts ?

Many, many, many this week.  My prayers are with the world.

%
% Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

HTH & HAND

:-D