Jens --

...and then Jens Paulus said...
% On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 11:41:18PM +0200, Jens Paulus wrote:
% > On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 09:21:52AM -0400, David T-G wrote:
% > > Hey, rot13 is cool.  Now for a rot13 filter in vim :-)
% >
% > >From the vim helpfile:
%   ^
% Hey, this is bad: what I just experienced is that after the transmission

Well, yes and no...  It's an escape to prevent your mail agent from
thinking that it's the start of a new message.

% of my mail I see that there is a quotation character just before 'From '
% (...  the vim helpfile). I didn't put it there and it doesn't come from
% David. Obviously the software thinks that there should be a distingtion

That's included by the MTA by design when it's delivered.

% to the mail separation From_ line in mbox format and inserts the
% quotation character itself automatically. I wonder if there is a way to

Sure; switch to a mail folder format that doesn't require it.  I hear
that maildir is good.

% avoid that. I just made an other test with an other sentence and the
% same result. Let's see what happens.
%
% >From heaven to earth.
% >From alpha to omega.