Charles --

...and then Charles Cazabon said...
% Greetings,

Hello!

%
% I'm the author of getmail, a POP3 retriever/fetchmail replacement.  One
% of my users reports that when getmail delivers messages to an mbox file
% while mutt is running, mutt doesn't realize there's new mail in that
% mbox file (I don't run into this, as I use Maildirs, and mutt has no
% problems with them and new mail).

In fact, mutt has no known problems other than PEBKAC with new mail in
any mailbox format.

%
% How does mutt check to see if there's new mail in an mbox file?  When
% getmail delivers messages to it, the mtime and size of the mbox would
% change.  Is this not enough?  What else should getmail do to be
% mutt-friendly?

That is exactly what needs to be done, and no more.

%
% cc's not necessary; I read the list.

This has come up a couple of times in the past couple of months.  If you
don't still have the messages around, you might enjoy a trip through the
archives.

%
% Thanks,

HTH & HAND

%
% Charles
% --
% Charles Cazabon                             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
% GPL'ed software available at:  http://www.qcc.sk.ca/~charlesc/software/

:-D
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PGP signature