On Mon, Oct 22, 2001, David wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 03:04:08PM +0200, Ren? Clerc wrote:
> > * Cliff Sarginson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [19-10-2001 14:48]:
> >
> > | Hello,
> > | I use threads
> > | I would like the messages within the threads sorted
> > | by received date, the newest coming first.
> >
> > set sort=reverse-threads
> > sort_aux=last-date-received
>
> OK, I get that one.  Is there a way to bump entire threads up to the top
> of the message list when they get new messages in them?  Sort of like
> most web posting boards do things?  I would like to toggle to that
> sometimes.

Yes, right in the manual under sort_aux:

"When sorting by threads, this variable controls how threads are
sorted in relation to other threads, and how the branches of the
thread trees are sorted. This can be set to any value that ``sort''
can, except threads (in that case, mutt will just use date-sent). You
can also specify the last- prefix in addition to the reverse- prefix,
but last- must come after reverse-. The last- prefix causes messages
to be sorted against its siblings by which has the last descendant,
using the rest of sort_aux as an ordering. For instance, set
sort_aux=last- date-received would mean that if a new message is
received in a thread, that thread becomes the last one displayed (or
the first, if you have set sort=reverse-threads.) Note: For reversed
``sort'' order sort_aux is reversed again (which is not the right
thing to do, but kept to not break any existing configuration
setting)."

-Ken