* Nicolas Rachinsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [03-11-2001 20:28]:

| AFAIK it is possible and harmless to have multiple Instances of mutt
| running and accessing the same folders.
|
| I want to ask if anybody knows if that's still true when using
| compressed folders (to let multiple instances of mutt access the same
| compressed folder at the same time).

Mutt (gunzips|unzips) the zipped mbox to a temporary file in /tmp.
The name of this file contains "mutt", `hostname -s`, and the pid of
the instance of mutt creating this file.

When you have two Mutt's running, they have two different pid's, and if
you access the same zipped folder, it gets unzipped to two different
tmp files. I guess that every sync overwrites the original zipped
folder, so the Mutt which syncs last, syncs best!

So, IMO, this is _not_ a good idea.

--
René Clerc                      - ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.

PGP signature