Cliff --

...and then Cliff Sarginson said...
% On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 07:17:14PM -0500, David T-G wrote:
% >
% > ...and then Cliff Sarginson said...
% > % File Locking + NFS = very bad news
% > % It is inherently unreliable.
% >
% > Always?
% >
% I would not design a production quality mail setup that relied on it
% if that is what you are asking.

Well, that's one way to answer it :-)  I don't know enough to know
whether there are "right" and "wrong" ways to implement NFS so that
locking works or if it's just plain always bad.

% But NFS is way past it's sell by date in my view.

*grin*

% Some technologies get streeeeetched beyond their design limitations.

Admitted.  I haven't seen anything else targed at *NIX, though; am I just
blind^Wsheltered or has the industry taken the "it ain't broke enough to
fix" stance?

%
% Time synchronisation (or lack thereof) is also a royal pain in the
% butt with any application relying on very accurate time keeping.

Oh, yeah.  Miserable, I know.

%
% There are alternatives.

That's what I was wondering...

%
% But that is OT, and not very helpful for this problem :(

But interesting, though :-)  And perhaps he could take the entire thread,
once it fills out nicely with all sorts of other input, ideas, and
experiential data, and hand it to the sysadmin and initiate a site-wide
transformation -- all because he uses The Mailer That Knows Better ;-)

%
% --
% Regards
% Cliff