Will Yardley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> yes.  this seems like kind of a bad idea to me, and something best
> left to MUAs - even if they are slow to adopt this, it seems as if
> enforcing this in an MTA might cause some problems.  for instance if
> i set the 'Reply-To' header to my address, but my mail server,
> running qmail (mine doesn't really) adds a 'Mail-Followup-To' header
> with the list address.  Of course i don't use mutt (actually i do,
> but just suppose) so i have no easy way of overriding this header.
>
> now when someone using an MUA that honors this header responds, it
> won't respond to my reply-to address.  i realize that this example
> might be a bit far fetched, but it's just one example.

Er, a few points:

1) to have qmail generate the Mail-Followup-To header automatically,
   you must have a list of mailing lists for it to use, so unless you
   add addresses to this list, the header won't get generated.
2) Having a Reply-To and a Mail-Followup-To header at the same time is
   fine.
3) An MUA that honors the MFT header will use it for *followups* only
   -- replies should go to the address specified in the Reply-To
   header.

> agreed!  i guess i was just trying to say that most of us
> communicate with non-mutt users frequently (i am the only mutt user
> at my work, in my family, etc. etc.) and so it's to our advantage to
> try and push for things like this to be made standard.

Definately.  On lists that are technical and 90% use mutt it is nice.
What would be really nice is if MS OE supported these kinds of
things.  Hah, right...how many years until they will? ;)

ttyl,

--
Josh Huber                                     | [EMAIL PROTECTED] |