Hello searchers in Mutt,

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 07:12:32PM +0100, Gregor Zattler wrote:
> mutt -f <(grepmail -h cco@ *)
>
> i see mutt reading messages from "/dev/fd/63", a few messages from
> grepmaiol and then:
>
> the mutt index which first looks fine but when I hit <enter> to read a
> message the pager was empty...

Oops. I get the same result. Thinking about it, this is not
surprising.  The process substitution construct creates a pipe to
avoid temporary files.  If you want to access a message listed in the
index, you need random access to the mail box, which is something a
pipe does not give you.

So it's better to say something like eg,
grepmail -hm cco@ * > /tmp/grpfldr ; mutt -f /tmp/grpfldr ; rm /tmp/grpfldr

And this is just what grepm does.  People not using mbox format will
have to use mboxgrep (mentioned earlier in this thread).

> ae <(ls)
> emacs <(ls)
> jed <(ls)

Emacs cannot read from a pipe (at least not from the command line).

By the way: The pro searcher will create an index (in the sense of a
hash table) for his mail -- like real search engines and databases do.
Now I remember a tool called ``Managing Gigabytes'' which is often
used for searching in really big gobs of mail.  You can find it there:
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/mg/

Cheers,
Cristian

--