On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 11:33:31PM -0500, Brian Clark (dis)graced my inbox with:
> > icu-locales 1.8.1-2 (not installed)
> > locales 2.2.4-7 (installed)
>
> That one ^^ I think. That's what I have installed. I just did a
> `dpkg-reconfigure locales' and chose my preference.

I figured that was the one, but wasn't sure.

I did the dpkg thing, and chose en_US ISO-8859-1. Still not working.

> > > I fixed this problem by setting my locales (LC_*) in my shell's rc
> > > file(s), then adding that information to /etc/environment. I would get
> >                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > I don't have this file.
>
> Huh? Well it's there in a default setup in my woody. I have no idea
> what's going on there.

Me either.

> > > localedef -c -i en_US -f ISO-8859-1 en_US
>
> > > (or whatever..)
>
> > Ok, did that.
>
> > Before I ran it, /usr/lib/locales was empty, now there's a
> > /usr/lib/locales/en_US.
>
> > Does that mean I should configure all my LC_* variables to be "en_US"?
>
> Yep, that's what I meant by "or whatever" -- if you wanted something
> else other than en_US

en_US is fine. I'm Canadian, but it's not like there's a difference that
anybody cares about.

> Just out of curiosity, do you have the file /usr/share/i18n/locales/en_US?

Yup.

There's a ton of others in that folder, too.

> > After I ran that other command, I just tested it and it isn't working.
>
> > Could you provide a little more details about where I configure those
> > LC_* variables? Just in ~/.bashrc? or somewhere special?
>
> Yeah I use bash, so I set my ~/.bashrc with the correct LC_* settings
> (you could set yours to en_US if that's what you wanted.)

I set them in my ~/.bashrc file and it didn't change anything (yes, I
sourced the config file. The "locale" command still shows the "POSIX"
stuff.)

--
Rob 'Feztaa' Park
[EMAIL PROTECTED]