> $ export LANG=en_US
> $ locale
> LANG=en_US
> LC_CTYPE="en_US"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
> LC_TIME="en_US"
> LC_COLLATE="en_US"
> LC_MONETARY="en_US"

this is very useful... i know perhaps a bit off topic, but i haven't
found any good howtos on this stuff in english.

on a sort of related (and also slightly off topic) note, for a while, i
was able to make certain accents in my editor (vim) and they seem to
display ok in vim; however now i can't seem to create them anymore.

my workstations are both freebsd, but the mail machine i'm usually
composing messages on is debian linux (i assume it's mostly server side
that i'd need to configure this).

anyway if i have LANG set to en_US, is there a way to insert an accent
(say an accent aigu) in vim?  are there any relatively easy to follow
docs on this?  i think i just need to figure out how my keymaps are
setup, but it's a bit more confusing in vi / vim since a lot of meta
keys are already bound to something.

--
Experience -- a great teacher, but the tutition fees...