> Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 13:16:46 +0100
> From: Martin Karlsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: mutt-users <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: auto_view problem
>
> On Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 06:29:19PM +0100, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
>
> [...snip...]
>
> One idea could be to try Dave Pearson's 'mutt.octet.filter' (found on:
> http://www.davep.org/mutt/ ), which "... will attempt to guess the true content of an
> octet-stream MIME attatchment and format for easy text-oriented  viewing."
>
> Who knows, it might work for you.

    Yes, might be a working hackaround. But I'd prefer if mutt worked as
    advertised. :)

> >     I have tried all possible invocations of tar/gzip I could think of:
> >
> >     application/x-tar-gz; gunzip -c %s|tar tf -;copiousoutput
> >     application/x-tar-gz; tar tzf -;copiousoutput
> >     application/x-tar-gz; tar tzf %s;copiousoutput
> >
> >     None of them work. I ran mutt under strace, and couldn't find any
> >     notion of it reading _any_ mailcap file. This seems to be because it
> >     spawns some children -- it positively _does_ read my ~/.mailcap,
> >     since this entry works as expected (wrapped):
> >
> >     image/*; anytopnm %s|pnmscale -xs 70
> >     |ppmtopgm|pgmtopbm|pbmtoascii;copiousoutput
>
> [...snip...]
>
> My mutt (1.2.5 now, used to run 1.3.23) _will_not_ act upon my
> ~/.mailcap;

    I was told the same by another 1.2.5 user.

> it does however recognize my ~/.mutt/mailcap, so try moving
> your mailcap. Again, who knows, it might work. *smiles hopefully*

    roman@roman ~ > grep image /usr/local/etc/mailcap
    image/gif; xv %s
    image/jpg; xv %s
    roman@roman ~ > grep image .mailcap
    image/*; anytopnm %s|pnmscale -xs 70 |ppmtopgm|pgmtopbm|pbmtoascii;copiousoutput

    mutt correctly passes images through this pipe, so the file IS read.

> /Martin (who has exhausted his "knowledge" of mailcap-related problems and
> hopes a full-fledged mailcap-guru will join the thread. :-) )

    Thanks a lot for at least responding. :)

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
4:49PM up 1 day, 13:19, 11 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00