I am not sure how to do that just with vi but:
Since you can easily pass your document through a unix command filter, you
could just write your own sed command to do that for you and bind it to a
key with map.
eg.
:1,5 !tr a-z A-Z makes line 1 to 5 uppercase.
or
:1,10 !sed "s/^[a-z].*/   &/"
Might do what you want. I haven't tried it, but, you get the idea. If I
could remember off hand how to do a negative search in sed, I would just
skip all lines beginning with a number.
Joel