On Wed, Jan 02, 2002, Daniel Eisenbud wrote:
> This is annoying.  I've successfully compiled mutt without iconv by
> commenting out lines in config.h, so I think that this is just a
> braindead policy decision.  Try commenting out the iconv test you quoted
> below in configure, and see what happens when you configure and build
> without iconv.  Also note that for some reason the iconv macro is

It fails in compilation (this is mutt-1.3.25). I started hacking
to get around the missing iconv stuff, but there seems to be too
much depending on it, e.g., charset.h includes iconv.h, if I change
that to:
#if HAVE_ICONV
#include <iconv.h>
#endif

then it fails somewhere else:

Making all in contrib
gcc  ... -DHAVE_CONFIG_H=1 -I. -I.  -Iintl  -I./intl  -Wall -pedantic -g -O2 -c
patchlist.c
In file included from mutt.h:51,
                 from patchlist.c:5:
charset.h:28: syntax error before `mutt_iconv_open'
charset.h:28: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `mutt_iconv_open'
charset.h:28: ANSI C forbids data definition with no type or storage class
charset.h:29: syntax error before `const'
In file included from mutt.h:812,
                 from patchlist.c:5:
protos.h:162: syntax error before `iconv_t'
*** Error code 1

Does your system have the iconv.h file etc? Or did you change
more than just config.h?