On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 02:06:37PM -0600, David wrote:
> I did a quick check for maildir in the manual as well as a quick archive
> search but couldn't hit what I wanted.  I just switched a couple of my
> boxes to maildir to deal with NFS not setting mtime and atime properly.
> Only trouble so far is that with two new messages I have recieved in
> those boxes (all I have gotten in there so far), the number of lines
> show up as (   0), even though the message is not zero-length (when mutt
> opens it, in fact, it looks fine).

You can either add a "Lines: #" header to each message which tells
mutt how many lines the message is.

Alternatively, I just do this:

set index_format="%4C %Z %{%b %d} %-15.15L (%4c) %s"

That makes mutt display the size of the message in bytes instead of
lines, which does not rely on the headers. Being a former pine user,
I'm more used to seeing the size of the message in bytes (which also
makes more sense when people send me binary attachments).